When mould dries out, does it die?

When mould dries out, does it die?

It’s a popular misconception that dry mould is harmless, but is this the case? Both yes and no. Mould spores will not multiply without a source of moisture, but once they come into contact with water again, they will reactivate and begin to develop.

Mould and mildew can cause a variety of health problems in addition to causing damage to walls, tiles, carpets, and other surfaces in the home. And, while everyone reacts differently to mould, numerous studies have shown that exposure to mould spores can cause reactions ranging from moderately allergic to pathogenic and even toxigenic.

So, in order to prevent mould growth and preserve your health, what do you need to know about mould? Here’s a quick rundown of the basics from Sunshine Coast’s mould removal experts.

best mould removal in Sunshine Coast

What does mould require to thrive?

The truth is that mould spores don’t require much to get out of hand. Lots of moisture and food are ideal circumstances. Moisture encourages mould growth indoors. This helps to explain why mould thrives in high-humidity, moist environments like bathrooms and basements.

Do mould spores die in the absence of moisture?

The presence of moisture, as previously stated, is a critical need for mould formation. Mould will “go to sleep” if there isn’t a continual supply of water. The spores, on the other hand, never truly die because they can resurrect once fresh moisture is available. Under the correct conditions, some mould spores can remain dormant for hundreds of years, depending on the type of mould.

If you have an active mould problem, simply eliminating humidity will not enough. If you don’t want the mould to grow back, you must remove the mould spores (as well as any contaminated things).

 Remember that mould can begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours of a material being moist. It will continue to grow until it is completely eradicated (the moisture problem remedied and the mould-contaminated materials removed). If you want to avoid mould from growing in the first place, make sure that any moist goods are dried within 24 hours.

When mould dries off, what happens to it?

Mould spores become inactive once they have dried out. They can, however, induce unpleasant symptoms and allergic reactions in humans, such as itchy eyes, runny noses, skin rashes, coughing, and sneezing.

Furthermore, dry mould spores are quite light and can readily become airborne. This can soon spread throughout your house, contaminating other locations. As a result, merely allowing mould spores to dry without cleaning or wiping them away is not a good mould remedy.

You can either clean the mould yourself (excellent for small surface mould problems) or hire mould remediation professionals for safe removal of larger mould problems, depending on the size of the mould contamination.

Mould dies at what humidity level?

Maintaining adequate humidity levels in your home is one technique to prevent mould formation. The amount of moisture in a cubic meter of air varies depending on the temperature. Warm air, in other words, absorbs moisture more readily than cold air. If you want to avoid mould, your relative humidity should be between 30 and 50 percent within your home.

Investing in a dehumidifier, using exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens where steam tends to gather from cooking and showering, and boosting ventilation are all simple strategies to keep relative humidity low. Open the windows frequently to allow for enough air circulation, but close them when it rains to prevent moisture ingress and condensation.

Is it necessary to remove dry mould?

Absolutely! Mould spores are everywhere, and while some can be easily removed during routine housekeeping, many will continue to develop in dark, damp areas of your home or behind walls. Any fungus spores should be physically removed.

Fortunately, we have excellent news for you: saving your home does not have to be expensive. To have our trained mould removal professionals assess your property and establish a remediation strategy, all you have to do is give us a call.

There is a remedy whether your property has been extensively damaged by water or you merely have chronic humidity problems.